Monday, January 16, 2012

Favorite Childhood literature




I am an avid reader.  I have been since I can remember.  I have numerous favorite books that I can remember with vivid details, and those are the books that I selected for our first assignment in ELE 3200.  These books are not what I consider to be quality literature for elementary school, but they were entertaining when I was a child and these were what I would call "Nostologia."  I chose "The Librarian from the Black Lagoon" and " The principal from the Black Lagoon" by Mike Thaler, "If you Give a Moose a Muffin" and "If you Give a Pig a Pancake" by Laura Joffe Numeroff and " The Magic Schoolbus inside the human body" by Joanna Cole.  These all have beautiful illustrations, and as I re read them as an adult I realized that the Magic School bus has a lot of science content it covers as well as imagery that supports that.  The "If you give.." books are creative and have fun illustrations that make children laugh and enjoy the story, but there is no necessary content or point to those stories besides good old enjoyment, which sometimes isn't such a bad thing.  " The Black Lagoon" books are fun to read, and there is a hidden message that teaches the kids that although there are some misconceptions about the principal or the librarian, they are never as scary or as hideous as they are made out to be. 

No comments: